History of Bunclody
Although a hamlet already existed here, Bunclody was raised to the status of a post town in 1577 by alderman James Barry, sheriff of Dublin. During the 17th century, the name of the town was changed from Bunclody to Newtownbarry, but was reverted to its original name in the 20th century, following Irish independence.
The town was the scene of the Battle of Bunclody, a bloody repulse of Wexford rebels during the 1798 rebellion.
In the 19th century, a small canal was made, drawing water from the Clody river, to provide drinking water for the populace. The canal still flows along the centre of the town's main street.
In 1884 a metal bridge was erected across the River Slaney just upstream of where the existing bridge is today. It was constructed of iron from New Ross, and assembled in the bridge meadow beside where the bridge stood. This bridge was washed down in 1965 when a flood swept through the river. The remains of the bridge were visible from the bank of the river for many years, until it was removed in 2007, during the building of a golf course beside the river.