The Architecture of Newtownbarry House
Newtownbarry House (built 1883 - 89) is one of the last country houses designed by Charles Lanyon (1813-1889), here assisted by his pupil W.H. Lynn (1829-1915) and his son John (d. 1900). Newtownbarry is almost entirely a new structure, both extraordinarily austere and Italianate at the same time. The fenestration of the two adjoining garden fronts reveals a sequence of rooms, epressed with military precision in impeccably detailed granite. The upstairs windows are framed with a stone surround so that it makes them the same size as the windows below, an idea first used by Lanyon nearly thirty years before at Drenagh.
Features of the house include a top-lit picture gallery and a richly carved staircase which lets natural light onto the landing, staircase and hall. There also many finely carved fireplaces. The library is finely crafted from wood. Newtownbarry and Stradbally are the only southern houses designed by the same firm of architects.
Castle Leslie towards the North is designed by the same architects and a Scottish baronial House with an Italianate section added to it. Ballywater Park is Lanyon’s most impressive house in the North and is open to the public. Newtownbarry was built by the Hall-Dare family and still remains in the family. A lot of the information in this script is quoted from an architectural report by Jeremy Williams.